Help Us Fundraise! Donate Today!

Monday, August 12, 2013

Becoming тато

When Anna was first with us, she had a hard time bonding with Josh. The last week in December was the first time Аня (Anna) really started to talk to Josh and show a more goofy side with him. She was always very clingy to me and very reserved with Josh. I will never forget the night we were all in the kitchen playing with the play-doh and she started teaching us some Ukrainian. She found Josh's attempts at Ukrainian absolutely hilarious and really started accepting him into her life at that point. She had a funny relationship with him. She didn't call him Josh, instead, she called him, "Sleepy." Rightly so! Josh had been working long hours at work and often came home looking very tired. She also would talk back to him. Many times, jokingly, she would say, "No, Sleepy!" Even when Josh wasn't telling her to do something. At that point, she didn't know many other English words, but it got to be a bit excessive and disrespectful, so we had to translate to her that she needs to be respectful and be kind. Immediately, she did as we asked and her relationship changed. We were becoming more of a "mom" and "dad" figure rather than just a fun couple she was hanging out with. That was one of the only times we had to confront her actions and she handled it very well and with a great attitude.
 
From day 1, I was "мама" to her and quickly became a more endearing term. She clung to me. When Josh would get home from work, she would sometimes overshadow Josh by trying to hug me first when Josh walked in. It eventually calmed down and I made a point to go hug Josh right away. We felt it was important for her to see that we cared for each other and then her and Aden. We were never harsh about it, but we were deliberate. She understood and eventually, she embraced our after work "welcome home." However, Josh was still "Sleepy."

  I don't remeber exactly what day it was, but one day... a sunny afternoon... kind of out of the blue... Josh became "тато." 
That. was. huge. 
HUGE! 

It was nearing the end of hosting and she was walking down the stairs and turned around because she forgot something or wanted to tell Josh something - I can't remember... but I remember she was trying to get Josh's attention and quickly said, "Тато!" Which made Josh and I both stop briefly and smile at one another. This moment, though fading in my memory, was important. Every day, she was getting closer, opening up more, allowing us in to her life... and we were blessed. 

  Anna never got super close with Josh, but they had a special relationship. He was someone important to her, you could tell. She continually got more comfortable with him during her time with us... and it was incredible for me to see my husband be a nurturing father to this teenage girl who needed a special kind of father's love. For a man who was not so sure he even wanted to host... it was inspiring for me to see his heart change towards her. He went from a person who showed mild concern for an orphan girl to a man fiercely protective of a teenager he wanted to be able to call his own. His care for her extended far beyond what I ever thought possible. 
Because we decided to host Anna, I was blessed - as a wife - to see into the depths of my husband's heart. I was able to get a peak into a part of his soul that I had never seen before. 
Because we hosted - 
WE were blessed! 
WE were changed! 
WE grew! 
If it was that impacting for us... I can only imagine what kind of soul-stirring, life-altering impacts it has on these children!
I often think of the phrase, "It is better to give than to receive." I hate to say that Anna got the short end of the stick in this hosting - because we know she didn't... however, we feel as though we have been blessed in ways that are completely unexplainable. Sometimes when we think about her, we just take some time to thank God for her life.

Each person has a purpose in this world. No matter their "status." Orphan or wealthiest person alive...
Each person has the unique ability to change someone else's life - even if they don't realize they're doing it. 
Essentially, God used Anna to change our lives. We pray, we were used to change hers.

This entire experience is completely unexplainable... no matter how many words I type or things I say - I just can not convey just what has happened to our family. From the deepest, most intimate parts of our souls - we are thankful for the lessons we learned, the challenges we faced, and the focus that has been changed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment